Saturday, September 12, 2009

Happy Birthday Baby!

Yesterday, yes, September 11th, was my baby's third birthday. I can't believe he is 3. He has grown so fast. It amazes me. He is such a great boy. A total smart alec (which I love) and loves to tease but he's just as sweet at can be. I just love that guy. He is totally obsessed with NASCAR. He can't recognize his numbers but he can tell you what 18, 24, 17 and all of the NASCAR cars. He'll say, "Number 24, Jeff Gordon." when he sees a 24 car. His favorite ("my guy") is number 18. He is sometimes the M&M car and sometimes the Interstate Battery car (these are the things mom's learn when they have a little NASCAR fan). Therefore, I had to make a car themed cake for Jake's birthday party.
Once again, I collaborated with my dad (also a NASCAR fan) on the details of a racing tire and once again, he came up with scale measurements for me. We are a dangerous pair I tell you. He also kept me in Pepsi all day since I hadn't had much sleep.
The car crossing the finish line is Jake's guy, #18 and Jeff Gordon is coming in second. I had to make a red car (mostly because I had a bunch of red gum paste and I didn't want to color more) and since I didn't particularly want the Budweiser car represented on my 3 year olds cake, I went with the Target car. It's not necessarily Jake's favorite (he still knows the name of the driver, though) but it was red. I know that many a kid has had a Budweiser car but I guess I'm just a prude. Three seems a little young to have "Budweiser" in your vocabulary. We had a little family barbeque to celebrate and we borrowed the Hot Wheels track that our friend built (the kids love that thing). I had my daughter hide 20 Hot Wheel cars around the yard and they had fun finding the cars and racing them on the track. My kids have a "mud pit" in the corner of our yard and while yesterday it was just a dirt pit the kids usually spend most of their time digging in it. Dirt and boxes, all a kid needs. Makes me wonder why we bought Jake toys for his birthday.

4 comments:

  1. Love the cake. I think this one is my favorite so far. Thanks for the fun party. We had a great time. Hope Jake didn't stay up too late with all his new prizes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy moley, I can't believe how talented you are! Will you make a birthday cake for me?? :-) This one was adorable, and oh, SO boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I often like to hop around blogs to find new inspiration. I am glad I found yours and how I was reminded how much I love creative cakes. I dont do it anymore but I love all the creativity that people have to put such wonderful cakes together. My brother is a huge Nascar Fan and he would just die if he got one on these Fastastic Cake... Love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! What an awesome cake!!! I can't believe you made that! It looks sooo professional! You're lil' guy is one lucky lil' racer! :) TFS

    ReplyDelete