Friday, May 21, 2010

I'm a Wreckie! Are you?

After some crazy amazing inspiration, I bought "Wreck This Journal" by Keri Smith last week. I was looking for something to do during the slow moments of working a couple of elections that didn't require me to pack up an entire studio's worth of art supplies and would still be fun enough to hold my attention. Then, I found all the "Wreckies" on flickr.com and the amazing things they are doing with their books. I thought it would be perfect. It is SO much fun.
Here is the cover of the book before it is too "wrecked". You know that it won't remain boring black for very long around me. I fully intend on adding a little color to that cover, which is one of the many instructions found in the book. Along with tearing, scribbling, cutting, collecting, tying a string to it and dragging it along on a walk, taking it to bed with you, and bringing it in the shower. Not to mention about a hundred other crazy creative exercises intended to help you think outside of the box. One thing that I am finding challenging is collecting the stamps from my mail. My mail seems to be pretty boring. Nothing but bills and junk mail that don't have any stamps. I haven't collected a single stamp yet. I need to work on that.
Here's is the page that says "Fill This Page With Circles". You would be able to read it if I hadn't filled this page with circles. I'm nothing if not obedient. This took me a couple of days but it was a great project to work on during the election. You just have to check out the great "wreckie" pages on flickr.com. Search for "Wreck This Journal" and hundreds of pages of "wrecked" inspiration will appear. It's addicting and so much fun. Well, I'm off go rub dirt in my journal. Be back soon.

4 comments:

  1. That is a lot of circles to color. Looks cool. Glad you were able to keep yourself entertained during the elections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I watched you make some of the circles and "wreck" the page. You amaze me with your ability to make things beautiful. Did you have a vision of what you wanted the end product to be? I certainly didn't see in those circles you were making an evolving work of art. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment on my 'sisters' painting. I did enjoy working on it. I did Wreck this journal last year and posted about it on my blog. I did it with a group and it was one of the most fun things I have done. You will have a blast with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun. I never thought of going on like to look for Journal Wreckers. Four of us in a writing group bought the journal and meet every so often to work together. We end up laughing so hard we can't do anything. Such pure fun.
    I found you through the Blog Hop and I'm so glad.
    Rita A. (no. 2)

    ReplyDelete