Saturday, January 21, 2012

I Caved

My husband and my son have been hounding (no pun intended) me for a dog forever, but I have not been easily convinced.  It's not like I don't like dogs.  In fact, I really like dogs.  Good dogs.  Dogs who don't jump up or growl or just be plain obnoxious.  Dogs need to be trained and I was afraid that I would be THE ONE.  You know, THE ONE who doesn't know how to handle their dog and he would be the obnoxious dog and it would be all my fault.  I also wasn't keen on following an animal around my house with a bottle of carpet cleaner 24/7.  My family tried to sell me on the whole "we'll take care of it, we promise" thing but I wasn't born yesterday.  I know who will be taking care of the dog and frankly, there are days when the fibromyalgia acts up and I'm not sure I can take care of myself and my kids.  Why would I want to throw a dog into that mix? 
I rolled my eyes when many Saturdays my husband and son could be found checking over the cages at the local Petco when the Humane Society would bring their adoptable animals.  They could look at dogs all they wanted, but I was NOT interested.  Sometimes my daughter and I would even tag along.  Just window shopping and then we met Dee.  Dee is the best home finder at the Humane Society I swear.  I'm pretty sure she was a successful used car salesman in a previous life.  She had us walking all kinds of dogs for weeks.  Once again, I thought "go ahead, walk all the dogs, but we are not taking one home."  I was resolute!  I could not be moved!  I meant it!
With that said, I would like to introduce you to Mick....
He's our new dog.  Dee rescued him and was fostering him but she didn't want to just let anybody adopt him, so she had been hanging onto him until she found just the right family.  We traded information and even though this might sound funny, I knew he was our dog even before I met him.  So today, we adopted Mick, which is short for MacGreggor (said in your best Scottish brogue).  He really is a good boy and even though he hasn't even been around 12 hours yet, I kinda really love him.  He's already not the obnoxious dog.  And I haven't even had to use the carpet cleaner yet!

3 comments:

  1. Oh he looks like a cutie, when can I come see him? I need an art date badly. I will call you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should be a fun addition to the family! At least you know that he is well behaved and trained before you got him! Should be a fun adventure for you guys!

    ReplyDelete